Here are optional questions and information that you can ask or talk about with the listener. This will enhance their understanding and encourage conversation and learning between the reader and the listener
Parts of the book:
Hand the child of the book. Teach them the 3 different parts.
- Front cover
- Back cover
Front Cover Information
- What tells us what the book is about on the front cover? (The Title)
- Who writes the words in the book? (The Author)
- Who draws the pictures in the book? (The Illustrator)
- Let’s look at the front cover. What do you think the book is about by looking at the pictures? (prediction question) optional responses: (a dog, sea, mammals, water, seaweed)
Page with Karla’s head (prediction question)
- What is Karla? What color is Karla?
- What is Karla riding in?
- What color is the sun?
- Where do you think Karla will go?
- What do you think is below or under the boat?
- What do you think is coming out of the sea?
- How do you think Karla feels? (sad, surprised, scared)
- o Why?
- What color is the sea?
Pages with Karla putting on her bodysuit and tank
- Can you name the colors you see?
- How do you think Karla feels about putting on her equipment? (happy, excited)
- Why is Karla putting on her equipment? (so she can stay safe in the sea and protect her body)
- Can you count the pieces of her equipment? (4)
- What color is the bodysuit?
- What color is the floor that Karla is standing on?
- What number is first? (1)
- What color is Karla’s oxygen tank?
- What number is second? (2)
Pages with Karla putting on her fins and helmet
- What is on Karla’s paws? (fins)
- How will the fins protect her paws? (keep her paws warm)
- What is on Karla’s head? (helmet)
- How will the helmet keep Karla’s head safe? (will keep the water out of her face)
Page with with CQ and Karla standing on the back of the boat
- What is CQ warning Karla about? (A possible storm and the creature in the water)
- Do you think Karla is excited about her trip?
Page with Karla jumping into the water
- Look at the sky. What is happening to it? (it is getting darker because there might be a storm)
- Can you find the number 1? 2? 3?
- Do you know what number comes after 3? (4)
- Can you count from 1-10? (you can have the kids count up to whatever number)
- Which direction is Karla going? Going up or going down? (she is going down)
- What do you think she will see in the sea? (prediction question)
Page with 2 humpback whales
- What is on Karla’s helmet? (flashlight)
- What color are the humpback whales? (white, blue)
- How many humpback whales do you see? (2)
- What are they doing? (They are breaching.)
- What does breaching mean? (To throw your body out of the water and dive back in)
Page with the 3 sharks
- How many sharks do you see? (3)
- What are the sharks hunting for? (food)
- o Why? (They are hungry.)
Page with the 4 dolphins-
- How many dolphins do you see? (4)
- How many eyes do you see? (6)
Page with the 5 turtles.
- How many turtles do you see? (5)
- What are the turtles looking for? (grass)
- o Why? (They are hungry.)
Page with 6 jellyfish
- How many jellyfish do you see? (6)
- What colors are the jellyfish? (pink, purple)
Page with 7 puffer fish
- How many puffer fish do you see? (7)
- Why can’t Karla touch the puffer fish? (The spikes will hurt her.)
- How do you think she would feel if she touched the spikes? (sad, hurt, mad)
Page with the 8 stingrays
- How many stingrays do you see? (8)
- Do they look the same or different? (same)
- What do you think the grass-like thing is on the sea floor? (seaweed)
- What is on the bottom of the sea-floor? (shells)
Page with the 9 seahorse
- How many seahorses do you see? (9)
- What colors are the seahorses? (yellow, orange)
Page with the 10 fish
- How many fish do you see? (10)
- What colors are the fish?
- What is a group of fish called? (school of fish)
Page looking at the coral reef
- What does Karla see? (Karla sees coral reef)
- What is coral reef? (plants in the sea)
- What does the word camouflage mean? (to change colors to match your environment so that one can hide from something)
- What colors do you see? (blue, yellow, red, green, orange)
- How many different types of coral do you see? (at least 6)
Page with the day octopus half camouflaged
- Why is the day octopus half orange? (It is moving away from the coral reef that it camouflaged itself to look like)
- What do you think the day octopus wants to tell Karla (prediction question)
Page with Karla and day octopus talking
- Why did the day octopus use its arms to move the boat? (to warn Karla about the bad storm coming.)
- What did the day octopus ask Karla? (If she wanted a ride back to her boat.)
Page with the day octopus taking Karla back to her boat
- Why is the day octopus holding Karla? (The day octopus is taking Karla back to her boat)
- What did the day octopus tell Karla? (To be careful sailing during the storm in her boat.)
- Where did the day octopus tell Karla to go if she experiences any trouble? (Go to the Island of Mysterious Wonders)
Page with Karla and day octopus waving to each other
- How do you think Karla feels about the day octopus helping her? (happy, excited)
- What are Karla and the day octopus doing to each other? (waving)
- What does the day octopus remind Karla about? (Going to the Island of Mysterious Wonders)
Page where Karla is talking to CQ about her adventure
- What does Karla tell CQ? (She met a day octopus, it told her about a bad storm, and suggests looking for the Island of Mysterious Wonders)
- What does CQ tell Karla to do before they are ready to leave? (take off and put away her equipment)
Page where Karla is hiding from the rain.
- What is coming out of the clouds? (rain and lightening)
- How does Karla feel? (scared)
- o Why? (she is scared of the rain and lightening)
- What does frightening mean? (to be scared)
Page where Karla and CQ are in the boat
- What is a decision? (when you come up with an idea or plan that you will do)
- What decision does CQ make? (to stop at the Island of Mysterious Wonders)
- What does CQ tell Karla to do? (Hold on)
Last page with CQ and Karla on the island
- Why did they stop at the island? (Something is wrong with their boat.)
- What do you think they will do there? (prediction question)
What did you like most about the book?
What did you like least about the book?
(Email me your child’s response. I’d love to read them) Contact Us